I decided to make the Smyca bag, just for fun, using some old fabric I had laying around. I only had about 2 yds of this striped decorator fabric, and it was so bland I wasn’t sure what to do with it, so I figured it would be perfect for this project. The bag is super easy. I hand drew a muslin pattern–it is only three pieces: back panel, front panel (both exactly the same) and a bottom piece that looks a lot like a canoe. I sewed the back and front panels to the bottom first, and then stitched up the sides. Then I made some edging out of the fabric to form the “handles” of the bag. It came out fine–kind of cute–but if I were to do it over again I’d use the lining fabric for the handles. It would spice up the bag a bit, I think. I didn’t do it originally because the lining is just a simple cotton (Robert Kaufman, I think) and I was afraid it would have much substance to it. However, if I’m not too lazy then I might create some edging out of the lining fabric, and simply sew it on top of the already existing handles. Might look cute to have it layered.